TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE Empty
PostSubject: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 10:43 am

Since Tuesday August 4th householders in the North West of the UK have been told to boil all drinking water before use, by the supply company United Utilities because Cryptosporidium microscopic bug which can give stomach cramps and diarrhea had been detected in the water supply to every household in their catchment area.............hasn't bothered me as I suffer IBS anyway and the  symptoms are similar.
However after talking to a representative of United Utilities the other day whilst walking my dog I wonder how Britain ever made it through World War 2............

We see pictures daily of refugees fleeing conflicts around the world. We see the plight of children dying in Africa and other 3rd world countries because they don't have good clean water and sanitation.

We muddled through the blitz in 1940/41 when we and  Nazi Germany bombed the c r a p out of each other.........and the two most memorable complaints that United Utilities have received this past month  are:

1)......I wish to complain about this problem because I couldn't boil sufficient water to fill my horse trough so that my horse and my Jack Russell could drink safely. Both have since had the runs!........true! he showed me a copy of the complaint that he keeps just for fun.

2)... this boiling water lark is very inconvenient as it takes many kettles full for me to be able to water my garden sufficiently!.... True.. He showed me that complaint as well.

I see the funny side of this, but sadly these people really were complaining thinking they had justifiable cause.............Are we becoming a nation of softies and blithering idiots or do we just expect too much from the cushy lives we have made for ourselves.
Back to top Go down
carlmt
Midshipman
Midshipman
carlmt

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 5:20 pm

I agree Neil - a nation of soft wimps!!!

When I was a nipper in the 60's / early 70's our house had single glazing, no central heating (only a coal fire in the living room) and no loft insulation (or roofing felt under the tiles).  Many a time in the winter I woke to having the nets curtains stuck to the glass with ice on the inside and on occasion, when it snowed heavily enough with a bit of a blow on, the snow would blow under the roof tiles and settle on everything in the loft!!!!!

Never complained - new no different....but us kids never caught colds or coughs or picked up other ailments at all.

I put THAT down to a lifestyle free of H&S and hermetically sealed and heated houses.
Back to top Go down
http://www.linkspanmodels.co.uk
zetec
Able Seaman
Able Seaman

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 12:26 am

I agree how would they have like this in the 50s are house had no running water got it from a pump across the road heated it on a Aga. No electric upstairs had to use a oil lamp. Bath was in a tube in front of the Aga so you could keep topping the hot water up. Toilet was 200 yards down the garden. 3 mile walk each way to school and 5 miles to the nearest shops and 2 buses a week. That was the good old days.

Cheers John
Back to top Go down
Windy
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 9:02 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

Sorry guys, couldn't resist  lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
troutrunner
Master
Master
troutrunner

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 9:21 am

Windy wrote:

Sorry guys, couldn't resist  lol! lol! lol! lol!

Love it, great stuff 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 10:02 am

one of their best sketches ever.....always expected Michael Parkinson to bob in from behind the scenes and join in...don't know  but reminded me of him, lol 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Just add water
Gunner
Gunner
Just add water

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE EmptyMon Sep 14, 2015 9:55 am

Southern softie's here jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE   SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE Empty

Back to top Go down

SOFTENING BRITISH CULTURE
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
TheRcModelBoatForum.com :: The Lake Side :: At The Lake Side-
Jump to: