TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

HA Kits Ocean Racer

Go down 
+2
Roadrunner
barriew
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 18, 2020 5:22 pm

Looking excellent, like the additional bull pit rails, good job 👍🏻

Martin555 likes this post

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 19, 2020 12:17 pm

So - fixing the hatch proved easy Rolling Eyes I had the idea last night, and tried it this morning.

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1567

It doesn't need anything but to be stopped from 'popping out'. It can't slide forward or back, so this is all it needs. 2thumbsup

I have edged it with some thin strip wood to make it look as though it is meant to be there!

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1568

Having got that sorted I finished installing the Rx and ESC. All tested - just waiting for ballast and a name!

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1570 HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1569

Barrie

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 2:26 pm

I took advantage of the sun to ballast three of my boats, including this one. My order also came from CMB with the propellers I had ordered. Unfortunately the wheel  was missing from the order. My silver paint also arrived, and the model is now finished - except I haven't thought of a name Rolling Eyes

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1573 HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1574
HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1575

Also today my next two projects arrived Shocked These are a Dumas Chriscraft Sedan - a static model. Looking at the quality of the wood, I think it may be a challenge. I also bought a fibre glass fishing boat hull with some plans. Again, the hull is not the best, but I think it will be OK.

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1576 HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1577

Build logs when I get started.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
Roadrunner
Forum Overlord
Forum Overlord
Roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 22, 2020 7:44 pm

good looking boat, sun dose it justice, thanks for sharing and looking forward to your next projects!

Back to top Go down
https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 6:58 am

This had it maiden voyage yesterday. As I suspected it was underpowered. It sailed well enough but was lacking in speed and the bow seemed too heavy, although there is no added weight there. I think the solution, if I want to go ahead, would be either a 400 type motor, or brushless. Given the performance of Vigilant with a 400, I think that could be overkill.

Not sure I will bother to change this one. I have plenty more boats to sail and am thinking of building a more accurate Fairey Huntsman/Swordsman as my next project. 

NOTE to Self ---  Must get rid of some models Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Barrie

Roadrunner and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 11, 2020 11:50 am

I decided to give brushless a try. Its by way of being a test run for when I build my Fairey Huntsman.
I bought a 1000kV motor and 30 amp marine ESC from Banggood. £15 with postage and it arrived from China in 10 days. The ESC and motor are not water cooled - I didn't want that complication.

I had some difficulty getting it all in, and haven't managed to fit a switch. This is not really too much of a problem as I always remove the battery after a run. It is fused - currently at 20 amps, which could be used as a switch.

HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Dscn1678

I think I could tidy up the wiring a bit by using some thinner wire. I will see how it goes and if I decide to keep the boat, or use the motor/esc in my Fairey.

Barrie

KevDonk17 and Martin555 like this post

Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 6:43 am

As one of my LiPos is looking a bit sick I have bought a new one. There didn't seem to be any stock of the one I wanted in the UK so I bought from Banggood again. It came from Europe in less than a week.

I had a run with this yesterday. Much quicker, but not as fast as I expected - still fast enough for me. It still seems bow heavy and doesn't look like the pictures I've seen of the real Fairey boats at speed.
I also found it takes on water. There are no coamings in the design, and I can't at the moment see how to stop the water getting in. Most of it is coming in from under the front of the cabin.

Using the fuse as a switch works well so I will not be altering that although I will have another go at the wiring.

Barrie

Back to top Go down
KevDonk17
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 07, 2021 12:53 pm

Hi Barrie
I have bought one of these kits and I am at the point of looking to fit the motor etc. Being very new to this I didn't know where to start and saw your blog which is great. Some really good tips.
Wondered if you would be able to advise me on all of the workings you have fitted as can't seem to get any good advice locally. So what size motor, servo, batteries, prop, rudder, etc. Also reliable place you suggest I could purchase from. Any help much appreciated.
Cheers Kev

Back to top Go down
Martin555
Lost But Never Forgotten R.I.P
Martin555

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2021 7:15 pm

Hi barriew,

You have done a great job, she looks really good.
Well done sir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: HA Kits Ocean Racer   HA Kits Ocean Racer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

HA Kits Ocean Racer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2