TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Please login using your username and password to use the forum.

If you do not have an account please register to participate, it’s free!
TheRcModelBoatForum.com
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

like a kid in a sweet shop

Go down 
+8
alw
zetec
Thornej
raaartygunner
Specialbuilder
davidjt
gribeauval
Roadrunner
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 8:23 pm

having said that!!, if you don't be an ass, and you turn the delta "inside out"...…...you then end up with the correct shape for the Shannon, all be it, needing a goodly bit of filling before the stock is fitted. …...duuurrrr

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1718
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm

looking rough at the moment, but In its early stages, I've filled it with milliput and once cured i'll sand it down hopefully to a decent finish.

if not, I'll go to plan B. affraid 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1719
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 12:13 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 1:05 am

something that I haven't found in the kit are the output deck speakers, shown on the upper part of the centre rear  upright to the flying bridge, top right painted orange.....

the smaller ones, being the input speakers have been 3D printed, but I couldn't see any mention of the larger output speakers, nor physical evidence of them in either the list of parts or in the fittings sets.…….and so I made them in plasticard this evening

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1720

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1721

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1722

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1723
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 1:34 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm

we don't often put photos on build threads of the actual boat we are building...…..usually because  the prototype has gone to the great scrapyard in the sky.....

but in the case of this Shannon, the most modern of our lifeboats, I have the pleasure of publishing these photos of Fleetwood's lifeboat, taken by my friend Allan MacFarlane, yesterday just two hours after I had been aboard her...……..good job I put the keys back, lol.

they are taken as she and the D class were out on a shout to a dog struggling in the high water just across the channel at Knott End...…….the coastguard sanctioned the rescue as they thought that the dogs owner might be going into the river to attempt to rescue the dog.

Unfortunately neither the two lifeboats could get close to the casualty, and the Coastguards on duty went into the river, and were able to rescue the dog...….a lucky escape for our four legged friend...….well done to all rescue crews concerned...…..I and the rest of us are proud of you all!!!

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 53417210

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 53517110

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 53845610

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 54424610

Last edited by nhp651 on Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 9:03 pm

Great photos Neil - congratulations to your friend.

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 2:41 pm

time doesn't stand still just because I don't have any boats to look at, and so I got on to what I thought was a tricky laborious job...….drilling all of the bronze cast fittngs to make up the stanchion rail safety guards.....

they needed drilling with a 1mm drill bit through the centre of  one end.

so I went to my friendly engineers called BRM on Poulton industrial estate and bought his entire stock of 7 bits, and put an order in for another box of 10 bits .

I started drilling this morning thinking it would take an age......25 minutes from start to finish drilling ………..

and what's more, I over estimated my incompetence...…….I only broke 2 bits and that was through stupidity...….

so now that is done,  I can clean up the flash left by the mould tracks, and then it will be ready for final fitting...…...another job taken care of......just have to make Micks white metal fittings supplied by Metcalf Mouldings look similar....that will need some imagination.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1726

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1727

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1728

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1729
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 8:40 pm

OMG!
Not only would I have broken every drill,but probably every piece I was drilling into as well.
Not only that,I would expect to have some holes in my fingers also.
Good luck with mine matey,you have done a good job so far
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:02 pm

cheers mate...…….am going to have to think outside the box to get yours to look anything like those brass ones, sorry...…….

but I hope they won't taker as long as it tool me today just to clean and file the flash off these rascals...……….

I also got the wiper /washer arms and blades trimmed up and ready for assembly...…..another job for yours to assimilate some plasticard in the right way.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1730

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1731
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2019 11:18 pm

As you know we did a good search round to find anyone who replicated these items,and at a reasonable cost.but could find no one who made anything like them,or who was prepared to!
With the number of model Shannon's being sold at the moment,you would have thought someone would be enterprising enough,amongst the general producers of this type of thing,to jump in,and start turning them out at reasonable cost.
Ah well,it will keep you occupied for a few hours,and in the warm,I hope.
Good Luck,and as always,thanks my friend for doing all this for me.
Mick F
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 1:52 am

I'm so jealous Neil you obviously have 150% eyesight and super steady hands.

Well done matey.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 10:19 am

Damien wrote:
I'm so jealous Neil you obviously have 150% eyesight and super steady hands.

Well done matey.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

no matey...……..just good glasses, lol...……..blind as a bat for close up work without them, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:38 pm

it was then on to another little fiddly bit...……"plumbing in" the hydraulic rams to the hull[when that reappears...…..

the supplied fittings are excellently detailed items, but so small and fragile that with my clumsy hands they would be broken within minutes of operating or carrying the models...…if I hadn't broken them on my boat already by trying to fit them.

and so prudently because I was going to have to simulate them on micks boat with wire, I decided to do the same on my boat as well...….

and so I set about making a dozen right angled unions and some straight ones for the trunions.

then I knew that somewhere in my workshop I had some very fine silicon black tubing that I had found on the beach some years ago...……..knowing that one day I might find a use for it...…….TODAY was that day, lol. and so the hose was simulated by the silicon tube, admirably...………….NEVER through anything away...…..one day you'll need it.

I'm just surprised that I found it so quickly in my rats nest, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1732

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1733

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1734

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1735

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1736

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1737
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

Excellent detail Neil.  2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2019 2:28 pm

And I think that the last of the fittings to clean up have just been done......…

when the brass castings were seen, the diamond shaped bracket to anchor to the cabin side had been moulder 90* out of trim, and so had to be cut off the main fitting.

some time ago, I lost one on the workshop floor and so I decided to make some more, [needed for my friend Micks boat which i'm building along side mine] from 1mm plasticard, and clean the remaining 7 brass ones up, drill for new "rings" as the last job......….so having been done, every thing is now ready for gluing together and painting before the mammoth task of fixing and gluing all in place.........the end of the tunnel is slowly coming into sight at last.

the round brass parts are the feet to the stanchions on the bow and stern pulpits.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1738

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1739
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 3:12 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 3:38 pm

and this is it...…….the final set of fittings to be cleaned up and got rid of the moulding excess....the interior fresh air/de misting and central heating circulating vents.

there are plenty in 3 differing heights....8 of each size, but after taking photos of the interior on numerous occasions, I don't recollect that many being on board...….but a final look once I get the cabin back [ micks is not having an interior.] then I can make sure of positioning. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1810

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1811

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1812

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1813
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 4:21 pm

Not withstanding the fact that it has been a mammoth task sorting, sometimes figuring and actually naming what the parts are, and then cleaning all the mould extra off the fittings, I am at that stage now where I can lay all of the Speedline fittings out in sets of colour that they are to be painted in.

As a kit basher and reviewer a good number of times in the early to late 80/90's for Model Boats, Radio Control Boat Modeller, Marine Modelling International, Model Shipwright and an American Magazine that I cannot remember the name of, I always used to stress upon readers, the following message...……

ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, make sure you go through the fittings sets and compare the fittings to the plans [or photos in some cases where the plans and/or instructions are only basic]  and reassure yourself with them, the names of them, the position as to where they are located, and do this several times, whilst cleaning them of mould flash and materials. DO YOUR RESEARCH, as it is invaluable to do so.

It is imperative that you get them right, or as I have seen from builds in the past, some fittings have been put in places instead of others that are totally wrong, and once fitted, they can't be used again, and you then have to make, beg borrow or steel new parts...…...and the boat becomes an obvious needle in your mind that something is blatantly incorrect, even only in a small part...…..but you know it is wrong and it niggles you...…....been there in my early stages, done that, got the p*** taken out of me by mates.

Checking all these parts also makes the build easier, much easier. And lifeboat lovers......love to draw you to one side and tell you that you have got things wrong...……...other anoraks just tell you in front of everyone and sod your feelings and embarrassment.

So, onto the final part.

I could not find anywhere in the fittings set any "line" for the boats safety rails, and they are black, between the galvanised silver turnbuckles and tensioners...…

I had thought of using sheering elastic for this purpose, but when used on an Arun I built some years ago, it soon sagged and looked awful as  it couldn't, after a couple of months, keep any tension at all.

so, I had the thought of using black monofilament fishing line, but on ebay the minimum I could find was 18 quid for 500 meters...…..I gave up fishing 45 years ago and don't intend starting again, and so set off in search of some smaller reels of the stuff in tackle shops in my area......one now only sells electric bikes, one is boarded up and the 3rd is a Chinese takeaway...………..and I thought that fishing was the 3rd largest sport in the world.

Anyway, I found a tackle shop in Blackpool, and after a little while hunting, the proprietor found me this...……..10 meters of Carp trace line, in black and tungsten weighted, and so keeps itself straight...…..perfect for what I wanted, and the almost correct diameter...…..

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1815

so, the boat as a kit  with everything now collected is ready for putting together once all painted, 

And that is what is called, "BUILD OUT OF THE BOX"......nothing fancy, no additives, just raw organic building with the parts supplied as it should be done. No points scoring,as a kit review no longer becomes a review if parts are changed or swapped for much more expensive items...…. but just warts and all, and if a problem occurs, you just get over it and get on with it. Simples.

I shall do a summary of the kit, once it has been finished.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 8:43 pm

Good fishing tackle shop on your left not far from the traffic lights in Bispam m8 ,NOW I do HOPE you are going to be VERY VERY careful in how you glue let alone paint these fittings otherwise there will be one rather cheesed off Welsh Womble.

Shannons going on holiday to Caernarfon on Friday to the garage to be primered and if you are Very very lucky I MIGHT get the blue on them on sat 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:48 pm

stavros wrote:
Good fishing tackle shop on your left not far from the traffic lights in Bispam m8 ,NOW I do HOPE you are going to be VERY VERY careful in how you glue let alone paint these fittings otherwise there will be one rather cheesed off Welsh Womble.

Shannons going on holiday to Caernarfon on Friday to the garage to be primered and if you are Very very lucky I MIGHT get the blue on them on sat 

Dave
oooohhhh…..getting very excited mate...

as for painting the fittings...……….I have a few pieces of hardboard...…….I put them all on to the board with double sided tape and normally would cover the boats up with sheets so as not to get overspray onto the boat...………………

but seeing as they are in the deepest deapths of north wales...………..no problem...…….

all fittings will be sprayed and left to cure, and then introduced to the models once dry mate....so no painting will be done to the fittings once they are actually on the boats...….don't worry mate...……..your paint work will not be touched. 

just one question...…….is two pack paint and Rustoleum textured paint allergic to Evostick contact adhesive...…..that is what I was planning to use to glue the rubber belting onto the boats...……..if it is, I will have to think of another method...……...please tell me its not, pretty please.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 13, 2019 10:53 pm

I've never seen that tackle shop...…….will have a look tomorrow  and if it has a slightly thicker black trace I'll get it...…...the one you mean isn't very close to the tram way and next to a big auto parts shop on the corner called Andy Currens by any chance...…………...if so that's the one that now only sells electric cycles.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 7:49 am

Used to be on right by junction off prom moved to opp side of road was defo open in oct last year
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 9:31 am

i'll have a look matey......that is probably Redbank Road. just up the road at the next set of lights from the Norbreck.
Back to top Go down
barriew
Captain (moderator)
Captain (moderator)

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:23 am

There's a lot of detail there to paint and add Neil. The finished model will be impressive 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:39 am

barriew wrote:
There's a lot of detail there to paint and add Neil. The finished model will be impressive 2thumbsup 2thumbsup

Barrie

there is indeed, Barrie.…….and I forgot that I gad not cleaned up the hand and pulpit rails on the joints of all the brass work...……..so been at that this morning, one set done in 2 hours, and plenty of contusions where the pointed needle files have made contact with my hands lol...…………...all in the name of modelling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2019 11:51 pm

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2019 11:01 pm

to say I was fed up with silver soldering of all the hand rails for the fore/aft pulpits and other rails was an understatement, but before I could paint the stern rails I had to mount the life ring brackets....

I cane to the MBD holders, and oh joy...…..they were simple hips plastic cut outs with brackets to add...……...but as was the quality of the Speedline kit...…...I was faced with brass etched parts, all needing heating and bending brackets, silver or soft soldering to the main bracket plates, and then either making a permanent fixing using more solder to fix brackets to rails, or using superglue and hoping that they would not fall into the drink if knocked against the bank or another boat...…………

I HAD HAD ENOUGH!!!.……..and although the brass etchings are of superb quality...…...I made them out of plasticard , using the brass etched main plates as a template...…..oh so much easier.

the hanging brackets I made from oval tubing that I rescued from the bottom rail of a window blind, found for 50p on a car boot market.....never throw anything away that you might have use for at a later time.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0418

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0419

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0420

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0421

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0422

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0423

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0424

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0425
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:35 am

What a maze! It resembles one of those toys where you have to negotiate round various shapes and contours,with a circle of wire without touching it,otherwise you set off a buzzer.When you look at the rails on the real boat,you just don't realise all the different twists and turns and curves there are.
Great job mate,just be careful with those needle files they do hurt lol!
Mick F.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 1:54 am

give you a little insight into our 2.5 million quid lifeboats matey...……..

even the builders don't get it right all the time, and if anyone gets at me or you for one side not being the same shape as the other...…….

check Fleetwood's boat out especially the rear pulpit rail...…….the port side is about an inch lower and the curve is not as uniform as the starboard side...………

amazing when you actually look at it in depth. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 A_life10

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 A_life11
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 2:01 am

OMG OMG rivett counters ALERT ha ha they will soon be contacting the Boat builders to tell them they have got it wrong 

Dave
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 2:38 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
raaartygunner
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 5:45 am

nhp651 wrote:

even the builders don't get it right all the time, and if anyone gets at me or you for one side not being the same shape as the other...…….

check Fleetwood's boat out especially the rear pulpit rail...…….the port side is about an inch lower and the curve is not as uniform as the starboard side...………

Here in the land of Oz that is quite normal as it is called custom made. Wink Wink Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

raaartygunner wrote:
nhp651 wrote:

Here in the land of Oz that is quite normal as it is called custom made. Wink Wink Wink

lol.....a few 4x's too much the night before the pipe bender came on duty...…..probably a Friday night, Monday morning boat, hehe.

it just goes to prove that even a 2.5 million quid boat can have its own charm and little foibles...……..so anyone complaining that your boat isn't symmetrically perfect, or those that are insulted by your modelling vagaries...….you have a solid excuse.....no one can be perfect all the time!!….….anyway, a boat be it 1;1 or 1;12 scale, has its own charm, and long may it be so, lol. lol! 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 4:09 pm

I keep finding other little bits that I have missed before painting, but I think these may be the last.

I have to admit to some modelling license to the following though in making them...the pictures show brackets attached to the pulpits for holding the two searchlights carried on the vessel.
on the real boats the holes for the pintails on the search lights go through the middle of the pulpit rail, but as these are solid on the model, I wasn't even going to attempt that so added brackets to the surface of the rails...….like it or lump it rivet counters, lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0426

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0427

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_0428
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 9:39 pm

all rails have now been given a layer of filler primer and then a grey primer, and left to dry overnight.....tomorrow they will be given a top coat of chosen grey semi gloss....to RNLI colours..

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1816

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1817
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 16, 2019 10:25 pm

I received a message from Stavros a little while ago...…….think he  had been celebrating  Wales magnificent achievement of getting back where they should be in RU status,as the old JOHN BARLEYCORN is taking its toll on his equilibrium, lol. and he sent it to me privately because he didn't want me to look a total tosser,or hurt my feelings...……….but I think his comments to me are totally justifiable and very helpful, not only to me and others.

so, as against normal protocol of not publishing pm's I thought that Daves comments are very helpful to us all when painting...…...and as I have the greatest confidence in Daves knowledge and skills..here they are for the good of all.and I don't find it in anyway derogatory or malicious. 

"Tut tut young sir wanst going to say this publicly BUT you sprayed those railings arse about face so to speak....you should have put the grey on first then the filler primer.....reason i say this is simple when you spray the colour of grey over grey you can not see where you have sprayed if you understand whee me comming form ...ALSO upon pain of death do you spray them tomorrow...leave till tues...WHY simply as you have sprayed on 2 primers in one day so PLEASE allow them to breath and fully cure …."

cheers mate......very helpful, and facts I didn't know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 pm

now comes the laborious job of painting the myriads of fittings...…...luckily they are at the main, either, black grey or the odd bit of white, plus some aluminium or chrome thrown into the mix...…...and so I am giving them all a layer of filler primer, and then they will be sorted into their prime colours and each section sprayed to suit …….this might be the ruin of me but, nil illigitimus carburundum.

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1820

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1821

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1822

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1823
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 22, 2019 2:13 pm

bit more painting done and a few parts put together, the searchlight on the pulpit rail, looks the bees knees......the chrome parts have been sprayed. too.

its a maize as to which fittings I can group together to spray on mass......but getting there. ……...slowly...……….but once all parts have been painted, its just a matter basically of sticking them in place, on a jog to the finish line. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1824

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1825
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySat Mar 23, 2019 12:08 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down
battleshipbuff
Gunner
Gunner

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 4:34 pm

All looking good Neil
Especially love the searchlight
The end may not be high yet but you are getting there!
Mick F.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 5:36 pm

all the bits are now being painted and assembled ready for when I get the boats back from Dave...this afternoon was assembling the job of the windscreen wipers.with twin arms...….just need sanding at the wiper end before attaching the wipers......and that's one more job done ready for fixing in place at some stage. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1826
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptySun Mar 24, 2019 7:55 pm

and the wipers are fitted...….just need touching up with satin black. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1827
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyMon Mar 25, 2019 3:50 am

2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup 2thumbsup
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 27, 2019 9:09 pm

the "nuts" re now sprayed with chrome ready to place on the top of the MBD engine access panel...……….

now that is going to be an intensive and mind boggling task to get them straight and level...……...but a steady hand and the right tools are ready...……..

think I might have a beer first to steady my hand lol. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 20190310

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1828

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1829
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 8:25 am

Neil just seen your key board  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ive got one here you CAN HAVE
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 10:46 am

stavros wrote:
Neil just seen your key board  Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing ive got one here you CAN HAVE

yeh, its a bit old innit, lol...…...I have a wireless one, but keep forgetting to get a new battery for it, lol. …...you know me and electronics mate,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 28, 2019 5:51 pm

barring a very few small items to be brush painted, and such as the main mast which will need some parts hand painting, all fittings have now been painted to spec. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1830

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1831

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1832

the 3 lifebelts on the left are some of those that I made years ago when I made 52-02 Arun class lifeboat...…...kept the  rubber moulds for future boats

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1833
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 9:26 pm

kept forgetting these little rascals which aren't supplied in the Speedline kit as far as I can see, so with a little plasticard I made the epirb transponders and holders for the outside face of the life ring holders, x 4...…...just need a little clear plastic rod putting into the clear tube now. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1834

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1835
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2019 10:44 pm

and the window surrounds have been sanded clean of flash ready to take the clear plastic windows supplied in the semi kit........as the interior on this model will not be shown, the windows will be sprayed from the inside with a matt black to suppress the image of a dark interior without lighting showing through. 

like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Img_1836
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: like a kid in a sweet shop   like a kid in a sweet shop - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

like a kid in a sweet shop
Page 7 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next